Friday, June 6, 2014

5 Facts Friday

So it appears that I'm only blogging on Fridays. Perhaps my life has gotten too busy to blog regularly, or maybe I'm just out of great things to say. Either way, I'm able to commit to 5 fact Fridays.
  • For the last week I have been doing a "clean eating" cleanse, of sorts. I chose to sign up for BuzzFeed's challenge, because the recipes looked yummy and they simplified the process with grocery lists and meal plans. So far I've done 6 days, I feel great, and have lost a little weight. While the weight loss was certainly a goal of mine, I was really looking for a jumping point on improving my diet. Since the wedding, I've been in a cooking rut and needed something to motivate me out of my kitchen doldrums and blues. I don't completely understand "clean eating," but I've learned a lot, cook more like my healthy vegan days, and will definitely continue removing processed foods from my diet and adding easy, nutrient-rich foods like flax and chia.
http://www.buzzfeed.com/christinebyrne/clean-eating-challenge
  • Orange in the New Black! Orange is the new Black!!! I'm so excited to binge watch the 2nd season of OITNB, but sadly cannot stay home tonight and gorge myself because BBC and Letty's Billy Squire cover band, Billy's Choir,  is playing.


  • I read this article by Questlove several months ago, it brought empathetic tears to my eyes and has dramatically altered my interactions with black men. Even typing that feels politically incorrect, but ultimately I don't think there should be anything wrong with reversing subconscious racism. It pains me to think that a black man would find it necessary to make himself appear like less of a threat to a woman he doesn't know; it's a way of life I will never know or understand. So how have I altered my interactions with black men? It may be simple and probably goes unnoticed, but I always make sure to make eye contact and smile. I don't know what impact this has had, but smiling at strangers has brighten my days.
  • I got a new job!! I will still be working at UT, but will be in a different department with more challenges. I'm pretty excited. What's most exciting is that I will only have one job from now on, as I also quit my second job! w00t t00t
  • It is a happy, happy Friday indeed. Enjoy the weekend, lovelies!

No comments: