Wednesday, April 9, 2014

My Rap Debut

Happy Wednesday, y'all. Today is a very special day for LD because tonight is my rap debut. Yes, you read that right, I will be rapping for the first time tonight at Trailer Space with The Abominable Mex, or Mex as we know him.


Several months ago, Mex asked me to rap with his ever-growing group and, while I was excited about the idea, I didn't think I'd have the courage to go through with it. We set a date, I started writing rhymes, and tonight I get up on stage to make a mild fool of myself in front of friends. It all sounds wonderful! I have 16 bars in Mex's "Trailer Space Anthem" and, naturally, was inspired by Salt N' Pepa so my lyrics are a wee bit explicit. At this point, I'm as ready as I'll ever be, but I'd be more confident if we had actually practiced beforehand.

Earlier this week I spent most of my free time focusing on wardrobe. After lots of help from my lady friends, I decided to go for a hip hop Jane Fonda look:

Get it, gurl!

I was able to find everything I needed online, with the exception of the tights which are already a wardrobe staple for me. I was also going to cover up with my favorite black-market Dallas Mavericks Starter jacket in a kid's size large for the adorable hip hop look, which I figure is the only hip hop look I can pull off.


Fly kicks courtesy of DSW:

http://www.dsw.com/shoe/n.y.l.a.+brander+color+block+wedge+sneaker?prodId=dsw12prod4180039&activeCats=cat10006,dsw12cat460004


Sexy Maidenform "leotard" with a suspenders look to highlight my nerdy lifestyle. Added bonus for the tummy-tucking, shapewear. I figured a black bra or striped tube top would cover my girls well enough:



Gina had some excellent wardrobe suggestions and mentioned a bodysuit immediately. However, after looking into it furher, I realized she was talking about something more like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WOMENS-BODYCON-ZIP-JUMPSUIT-CELEBRITY-J-LO-FLORAL-TROPICAL-PRINT-GREEN-PARTY-/111319298751?pt=UK_Women_s_Dresses&var=&hash=item19eb25b2bf


While green Hawiaan print isn't really my "thing", I could see myself wearing something along these lines:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Sexy-Metallic-Bad-Girl-Fitted-Hood-Skinny-Leg-Party-Jumpsuit-Romper-Boutique-/171176538431?pt=US_Womens_Jumpsuits_Rompers&var=&hash=item27daeab13f

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zambia-Shorts-Colorful-Bodysuit-Jumper-Romper-Jumpsuit-/251469856659?pt=US_Womens_Jumpsuits_Rompers&var=550378736522&hash=item3a8cc57f93

After all my window shopping for an outfit, I decided I would be even more nervous looking like a fool while performing, than I would if I was just in my normal clothes. So, hip hop Jane Fonda will just have to wait for a more appropriate time, like Halloween or my second rap performance.

If you want to come see me tonight, we go on at 8pm. Wish me luck!

No comments: