Thursday, May 23, 2013

EDIM: Schools A Fool

EVERY DAY IN MAY, DAY 23: Things you've learned that school won't teach you


I learned a lot in school, in both my primary and higher education, and the best thing I learned is that a college education isn't completely necessary. Personally, I went to school to become and artist; something that doesn't require an education. I also firmly believe, even after earning an art degree, you would be making money at art, regardless of having a degree, if you had any talent to begin with. I, friends, do not have the talent to be an artist. Anyhow, enough with my slight rant and onto today's blog prompt.

Things I learned that school didn't teach me, in order of their usefulness:
  • Kindess- Sure, schools try to teach you kindness, but I can't honestly say they're successful at it. I'm pretty sure the sharing and caring lessons ended in pre-school.
  • The value of friendship- In school I quickly learned that it sucks to eat lunch by yourself and it isn't fun being bullied, but the true value of friendship is a lesson that only life can teach you.
  • Following your dreams is bullshit, unless everyday of your life is already spent following your dreams. That may sound cynical, so perhaps this will be clearer. I was taught in school that I could do anything I wanted to, yet then I was pressured into trying to figure out what I wanted to do. I still have no clue what I want to do and I spent years and tens of thousands of dollars following an art whim from childhood. If you're in your 30s, love baking cakes, and make amazing cakes, then sure, you should follow your dreams and open up a cake shop, but if you don't have a passion, there's no need to search for one. I've learned, more recently, that my passion is just to enjoy every day and well, nearly any profession facilitates that.
  • And for some comic relief, sex-ed never taught me how to use a tampon. I had to learn that through trial and error, namely, walking around Six Flags with the entire tampon and applicator shoved so uncomfortably in my body that I couldn't even ride a roller coaster.
  • This may be cheating, but something I was  taught in school, but haven't mastered in real life is time math. I am so terrible at time math, it's debilitating. Recently, BBC and I showed up to friends' wedding 4.5 hours too early!

No comments: