Saturday, May 25, 2013

EDIM: Polka Dots are Pretty, Even on Faces

EVERY DAY IN MAY, DAY 25: Something someone told you about yourself that you'll never forget.  

As you all probably know, I have freckles; a lot of them. I'm pretty neutral about it, but growing up with freckles was surprisingly harder than some of you might expect. In elementary school, my crush drew my name for Secret Santa and instead of professing his undying love for me, he gave me a used copy of Judy Blume's Freckle Juice.  I was hysterical, but my amazing mum lessened the heartache by insisting the we make the damned freckle juice and before I even had a chance to drink the disgusting concoction, I had already forgotten about Dan whats-his-name.

There were lots of freckle-bashing moments as a young girl and most of them ended in tears. The thing that stands out the most for me, however, is something my Aunt Lorriane once said to me. She was in her twenties and very, very cool! She took us to the roller skating rink on Friday nights and would ask boys to couple skate with me because I was too shy to do it myself. Also, not many 6th grade boys wanted to skate with a 2nd grader, but I'm pretty sure she promised to skate with them afterwards if they were nice to me.

2nd grade, up and coming model

One day, when I was surely in freckle-face hysterics, Lorianne told me that she had freckles when she was a little girl. I was stunned. She was so pretty and cool, I just couldn't believe she had what my Uncle Mike called, "fart marks" on her face. That day she promised me that when I turned 21 my freckles would go away and I never forgot about it.

It might sound silly, but the promise that my freckles would go away is the most memorable thing about myself I've ever been told. I remembered and believed it, and on the eve of my 21st birthday when I stood in front of a mirror I took, what I thought was, one last look at my freckled-face. I wasn't an idiot, but I honestly said goodbye to my freckles thinking that they would be gone whenever I woke up. Well guys, I still have freckles!

And, if you would like freckles, you can read THIS ridiculous article about how some women are faking freckles to appear youthful.

No comments: