Wednesday, May 29, 2013

EDIM: Mucho Musica

EVERY DAY IN MAY, DAY 29: Five songs that speak to you.


1.

Sure, Robyn's Dancing On My Own  will pump me up for a night with the girls, but it can't make me feel sexy in a grocery store the way Mel McDaniel can.

2.


INXS was my favorite band growing up. I say "growing up", but I mean in elementary school. My sister and I used to dance around to Suicide Blonde  and screech about wanting to be suicide blondes whenever we grew up. The closest I've ever gotten was getting my hair cut and permed to look like Micheal Hutchence in the 3rd grade.

3.

I think it goes without saying, that I am a big Greg Ashley fan. We pretend to be siblings, his voice is so deliciously smooth in a strange deep tenor sort of way, we've known each other for almost two decades, and well, he's made some excellent music. There is also a huge sense of hometown pride following his musical career. Having said that, I was completely taken aback as I watched him play this past week in San Fransisco. He played a song that I had never heard before and I couldn't get it out of my head for days, until I finally asked him about it. He was recording the Zoobombs and really liked a song of theirs and decided to cover it, but change the sentiment from happy to miserable. In his version he sings, "You make me feel like shit, I want to kill myself, I want to kill myself..." instead of the pop "Stay with me my big friend, I want to be your friend, I want to be your friend..." Both versions are playing on repeat in my head! 

4.

If I had my way, BBC and I would not only be walking down the isle to Beyonce's Halo, but it would also be our first dance. This song tears me up in my soul in the best way possible.

5.

And, to close it out on a rock n' roll note, I give you my favorite Rolling Stones song.

1 comment:

Leticia said...

Excellent list, friend.