Sunday, January 6, 2013

The Flu, My Review

I have the flu, y'all and it's awful. I am, however, on the mend so here is my guide to making the flu just one thumbs down instead of two.

A big, fat thumbs down

  • Fever Buster: After having a fever for over three days, the only thing to break it has been Tylenol Cold & Flu Severe. Not only does it have acetaminophen for pain and fever, but the pill on the box has magic sparkles guaranteeing it will work!

 
  • Medicine Soup: When I was growing up my mum had two secret weapons for fighting illness. The first were hot toddies, which could cure anything from a headache to heartbreak. The second, however, truly has healing qualities. My mum's special medicine soup was made with lots of love and a canned chicken! Apparently you used to be able to buy a whole, cooked chicken stuffed into a can full of broth, but the last few times I've looked for one, I couldn't find it, thankfully. Here's a quick version of the recipe if you'd like to try it yourself. I made some yesterday, which is probably the only reason I'm feeling better.
    • Chop and saute 1 large yellow onion, 5 carrots, 5 stalks of celery, and 4 cloves of garlic in 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large stock pot until translucent. Remove the meat from a whole, cooked, store-bought rotisserie chicken, ripping the meat into small chunks. Add the chicken, 2 tablespoons dried sage, 2 tablespoons dried thyme, salt and pepper to taste, and 6 cups of vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes, seasoning with salt and pepper.
  • Smith Brothers Warm Apple Pie throat drops are heavenly! A bag usually costs $1.00, tastes delicious, and the active ingredient is Pectin (think Hot Tamales/Fireball cinnamon burn) which numbs a sore throat sweetly.
  • My sweetie has been my secret weapon for beating the flu. The last time I was this sick I wasn't well taken care of and ended up in the hospital. Even at that time, with a 104 degree temperature, Mr. Ex wouldn't take the time out of his party schedule to take me to the ER. BBC has been nothing short of wonderful during my bout of sickness by constantly refilling my cup with Gatorade, shopping for sickie essentials like popsicles, watching movies with me in bed, and rubbing my back as I cough and complain. Having a sweetie makes such a difference!

No comments: