Wednesday, January 9, 2013

In A Pickle

Yesterday marks the saddest day of 2013 so far. Last night I learned that my 30+ jars of Christmas pickles are disgusting! If you think I'm being melodramatic by calling this the saddest day of 2013, then you clearly have never tasted my pickled green beans!


I pickle once annually and for the last four years, or so, have been giving away my delicious pickled green beans as Christmas presents. Sure, it's a cheapskate's gift, but each year I get more and more requests and cheers for them and over time I have perfected the recipe. Pickling is a bit of a gamble, because you never know how the pickles will turn out until they have properly cured first. My standard cure time is two weeks and I often start gifting the pickles before they are ready to eat. It's a risk, but with a perfected recipe I never foresaw disaster. This year's pickles, however, are a disaster as I forgot to add salt to the brine and they just taste awful!

The worst part of all of this is that I have over 30 jars of gross pickled green beans to get rid of and no replacement presents. Sure, I could re-pickle, but I don't wanna! Also, I feel pretty embarrassed about those individuals who received my pickled green beans for the first time and now they must think I'm a terrible pickler who shamelessly self-promotes terrible pickling abilities. (So sorry Trailer Space and BBC's parents). Oh, the tragedy!

No comments: