Monday, December 3, 2012

December Reflections

Wow, December is officially here and I'm a little shocked by how fast this past year has gone by. From the outside it would appear that very little has changed in my life since last December, but in actuality there have been several important and big changes. I'm still the proud mother of two lovely kitty babies, I still have the same wonderful friends filling my life with joy, I'm still happy at my two fulfilling jobs, I still haven't bought that new car I dream about since living without a car suits me best, and I'm still completely in love with my same adorable garage apartment. I guess the biggest noticeable difference over this past year is the addition of my wonderful boyfriend, BBC, but in actuality, the biggest difference is me.


This time last year I was dreading my 30th birthday, fearing a life of spinsterhood, and wallowing in a little bit of self pity. (Blog flashback from this day last year HERE) Sure, I was still an upbeat and outgoing LD, but I just felt like there was so little purpose in my day to day and that I had disappointed myself with where I was in life. Turning 30, which turned out to be completely painless, has been one of the most wonderful moments of my life. It sounds ridiculous that a single birthday could adjust my outlook on life, but that's kind of how it worked out for me.

In the weeks leading up to my 30th birthday, I began looking forward to the landmark. This year two outstanding and beautiful women in my life should have been turning 30 along side me, but their lives were cut short. That put my age into perspective; realizing that I had earned my 30 years and should be proud of them and move forward living an amazing life for the people that I loved that couldn't do the same. My purpose may not be to cure cancer, or write a best selling novel, or invent a purse that functions as a stealth take out box for buffet meals, but what I can do is make sure that the six feet of space around me is the best six feet of space I can make it. I'm not able to make this world a better place, but I am certainly able to make those who encounter my six feet circle feel welcomed, important, and appreciated and that's about as much purpose as I need. I'm far from a religious person, but I am truly blessed with my life.

No comments: