Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Thanksgiving Tidbits

Happy Thanksgiving, y'all.



Thanksgiving has been my favorite holiday for years, but more recently it just seems to pass by with little fanfare. I work at the Thanksgiving Day UT football game every other year, which leaves me with little to no turkey! This year I will be working, but for the last four years I've been fortunate enough to spend alternating years in countries that don't celebrate Thanksgiving. In 2009 I went to Rome with friends and last year I visited Chad and cousin Kat in London. Next year I'm hoping for Vietnam!

Matt, AT, JJ, barefoot LD, and Mr. Ex in Rome, 2009
Our Roman Thanksgiving, 2009
With Chad in Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese pub in London, 2011
Cousin Kat, LD, and Chad discotheque-ing post feast


So in the spirit of the holiday, here is a list of 10 things I'm thankful for:
  1. My wonderful friends and family. I am fortunate enough to be only surrounded by exceptional and caring people. It certainly hasn't always been this way, but I can guarantee it will always remain as such.
  2. Medical stability. I've had multiple medical issues in the past and will always have autoimmune disorders and chronic illness to work with, but I feel so fortunate to have reached a steady and maintainable place in my treatment.
  3. My sweet kitty cats and cats in general and cats dressed up as people and pictures of cats at tables eating Thanksgiving dinner and cat nipples (visit my cat nip slip blog HERE) and, and... Here kitty kitty!
  4. My jobs. I don't know how I got so lucky to have two jobs that are fulfilling, rewarding, and enjoyable. I do, however, hope to only have one job by the end of 2013.
  5. My mum! I know I already listed my family on here, but my mum is truly the brightest light in my life. 
  6. Electronic cigarettes. I have hated smoking for about as long as I have smoked cigarettes, but electronic cigarettes have saved the day. Sure, I'm still addicted to nicotine, but I don't smell and taste like an ashtray, my skin will remain supple and young (fingers crossed), and I don't have to worry about dangerous and unhealthy side effects. If you're interested in trying or learning more about the Blu eCigs I smoke, you can get a special introductory price HERE. (sales plug)
  7. Words cannot fully express how thankful I am that a long time acquaintance turned into my wonderful boyfriend, who truly is my best friend.
  8. I am thankful for the time I had with my dear friend, Karen. From 1997-2003 we spent every single Thanksgiving together. Thanksgiving was terribly hard after her passing, but now it reminds me to let those people I love and adore know how special they are year round. It also reminds me to cram as many deviled eggs I can into my mouth on turkey day, because it's what Karen would have wanted.
  9. Pigeons! Truth be told, I don't think there is a single living thing that can warm my heart like a chubby, iridescent pigeon roaming the city streets. Coo, coo, sweet pidges. And in one final shameless self plug, my pigeon blog is HERE.
  10. I am very thankful for THIS BuzzFeed post about sexy Phil Collins and the following video.



I hope everybody has a lovely Thanksgiving and gets to enjoy it with the ones they love. While I won't be celebrating in true feast form, I will get to enjoy the company of my sweetie BBC, Karen, and Letty while we all work at the football game. And while I will gladly accept any charity plates from those of you who will be having your own Thanksgiving feasts, BBC and I plan to gorge ourselves of tofurkey Friday!

    No comments: