I typically host a ladies movie night once a month. We generally watch movies that I would classify as guilty pleasures: Waiting to Exhale, Selena, R. Kelly's Trapped in the Closet, Heathers, Revenge of the Nerds, Howard the Duck, anything that has ever aired on Lifetime, etc. It has honestly been too long since our last movie night, so last night, per Karen's demand, we had a last minute screening of The Craft. Shockingly, it was Karen's first time watching the movie, but with all our gabbing through the film I doubt she got a solid viewing experience. I hadn't seen The Craft since it originally came out (1996), so last night was a nice reliving of the 8th grade. Of course at that time Karen(Collins) and I were far too grungy and aloof to really enjoy all the gothic angst. Here's the trailer to refresh your memory and some tidbits from our evening :
- Naturally, we started last night by reviewing everyone's star sign and element to insure that our imaginary coven would be complete. While we are a little on the hot side in terms of having more fire than we need, we're complete! Karen (earth), Margaret (water), Me (air) and Julia, Letty, and Carole (fire).
- In the movie the girls weave the evil racist's hair into their own for a curse. I've decided that I would like to do the same with our coven, but not for curses. I just think it would be cute for all of us to have pretty little hidden "friend braids" in our locks.
- As a coven, we've come to terms with the fact that we will have to adjust our gothic witchy ways to function within the limitations of Austin. For example, we will only use free-range, organic, fair trade eye of newt in our spells.
- Following the movie, we had a lovely Arbor Mist toast in honor of our newly established coven. We went around the circle stating our element, a wish for the future, and a general fun fact and then chanted "I drink to my sisters." It was truly magical and we easily drank a gallon of Arbor Mist. I'm just sayin'.
- For completely unrelated, and kind of unknown, reasons, we danced to Africa by Toto before calling it a night. Here are some photos and video.