Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Wino Weekend

I went on my first wine tasting and vineyard tour this weekend in celebration of Pam's 30th birthday. I'm not much of a wine drinker, so I was a little nervous going into it, but I had a wonderful time!

Pam's amazing husband, Wells, rented a 12 passenger van and chauffeured 10 giddy ladies around the Hill Country. Not only was he the designated driver, but he was also the caterer of our delicious picnic and pumped out the jams in the van while playing DJ. Sure, Chris acted as co-pilot and co-chauffeur, but I think Wells should win a "great hubby" award for this trip.

Co-chauffeur Chris jammin' to Mariah Carey

I had mucho, mucho vino, so my memory might be shaky, but here's the rundown on our tour:

Our first stop was Texas Hills Vineyard. It was a great first stop to ease us into a day full of wine with $5 tastings and bottles as cheap as $3. The break out star at this vineyard was the award winning Kick Butt Cab, but little else impressed me. The staff was far from friendly and the other wines were so-so to my undignified palate.


Squeezing grapes with Pam and Wells

Next we hit up William Chris Vineyards and was given an outstanding tour of the grounds, cellar, and prep room by Josh! They bottle all the wines by hand, y'all! For $10 we had generous samples of 9 different wines. I'm not much of a white wine drinker. In fact, 9 out of 10 white wines make my face cringe, but their Blanc du Bois is the most delicious white wine I've ever tasted in my life. It was so delicious, this cheapskate actually bought a bottle at $30 a pop. Here's a video about how yummy it is:


The whole gang with Josh on the left!

Brutus, the rooster who runs the fort at William Chris

If you plan on taking some Hill Country vineyard tours, you have to stop by William Chris. They were outstandingly friendly, fun, and informative. I left my cell phone in the cellar room and they even stayed 30 minutes past their closing time so I could retrieve it. Great people and delicious vino.


Hilmy Cellars was our third stop, but what can I say. I was already drunk. All I remember is the cute drunk birdie on their labels and the free chocolate.




Our final stop was at Pedernales Cellars where I didn't taste a single drop of wine. Turns out I've got somewhere between a 5 to 9 glass of wine limit. The patio, however, was divine and you can buy cheese and salami from their roundabout vending machine. Go take a date and watch the sunset.



Afterwards the gang gorged on pizza at Pam and Wells's house. It was a great celebration. Happy Birthday, sweet Pammie!

CORRECTION: 
Wells did not act as DJ. It was Chris Cordova, who did an exceptional job. I apologize for any confusion this error may have caused. 

No comments: