Friday, June 8, 2012

Selen-sanity

I think my favorite trend of 2012, so far, has been the resurgence of Selena. On the 13th anniversary of Selena's murder, Bernadette's threw an amazing tribute party. Letty, Stayten, Jacob, JJ, and I danced our asses off and it still is one of the most fun nights I've had all year. Coincidentally, this happened a couple months after I had a ladies movie night viewing of the Selena movie. Letty and I started talks about a Selena cover band, but since I have zero talent, I took it upon myself to just re-create Selena outfits in my spare time. Just to refresh your memory:


Since then, I have missed the Dikes of Holland's Selena tribute multiple times! They even played at a Cinco de Mayo party that I slept through (too much de Mayo day drinking). Last night, however, the BF and I went to 29th Street Ballroom and I finally got to see them. My first thought, while the lead singer is not Letty, she is Hispanic, loves Selena as much as we do, and does a pretty damn good job. However, her wardrobe needs some major assistance; her outfit was comparable to an Elvis impersonator wearing sweat pants. That being said, I would love nothing more than to rhinestone bustiers and assist with styling. Regardless, I am their new biggest fan. The next show is for Mitch's birthday at Trailer Space on June 21st and I will be there in rhinestones and hoop earrings! 

Even more coincidentally...
Yesterday before heading out to the show I turned on the television and this video was playing on cable access:


The Austin Chronicle ran this column about a local designer's Selena shirt:


No comments: