Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Frog Stamps

I lived in Jacksonville, Florida as a kid for several of years and I remember being fascinated with the squashed summer toads in the roads. Frogs were my favorite animal back then and I had a collection of live ones in shoe boxes in our carport, but the dead frog stamps fascinated me even more. Several weeks ago I was so excited when I found a frog stamp just outside of my driveway. Naturally, my first inclination was to save it! Yes, I save all sorts of strange things: human hair, laundry lint, snail shells, every pigeon feather I walk past. It never even occurred to me that a collection of smashed, sun-dried, frog carcasses could be crossing the line. The BF calmly told me that he thought it was disgusting even though he has been very understanding with my collections, even saving my own hair and used popsicle sticks for me. When I told him I thought about stringing collected frog stamps along my fence as a garland, he didn't even mention that it was Chainsaw Massacre-esque. (However, he wasn't exactly thrilled when I suggested he put his toe nail clippings in a jar.)

Frog Stamp


It was settled, I would hunt and collect frog stamps this summer, so naturally, I loaded my purse with empty Ziploc bags so I could start collecting the corpses. I found two frog stamps off Red River on Sunday and picked them up the same way you would use a plastic baggie to pick up doggie doo. Ironically, I don't think the dead shell of a toad is gross in itself, but I certainly am grossed out at the idea of touching them with unprotected hands. As soon as the two frog stamps were in the bag, I abandoned the idea entirely. They looked absolutely disgusting! Sometimes things in nature look much better in their own environment; frog stamps belong in the streets.

No comments: