Thursday, December 22, 2011

Ring, a Ding, Ding

I'm officially off of work for the holidays and am now easing into vacation mode. This season I'll be making a tour of Texas's finest: Austin, Dallas, and Houston. Family, friends, and basketball are the highlights. I've had a strange holiday season so far with lots of sadness and emotion immediately followed by good cheer and excitement. Currently, I'm in great spirits and very excited about the time off of work with the people I love.

The thing about Christmas I'm most excited about it the NBA season opener on Christmas day. The Dallas Maverick's will be hanging the championship banner!! I'm so excited to watch. I've been a Mavs fan since 2000 and have waited and watched my boys play amazing basketball for 11 years hoping to see some championship rings on their fingers. It's a great Christmas gift and makes me completely forget about the season starting late due to strikes. I'm a Dirk girl all the way and even have a small line marked on my kitchen wall 7 feet from the floor just so I can daydream about kissing my unfrozen caveman basketball player boyfriend.

Dirk Nowitski

Of course, I'm also excited about seeing my dad, mum, father, step-mother, sister, brother-in-law, niece, and nephew. My nephew, Stephen, loves cooking and baking and I've gotten him a set of cookie cutters shaped like tools as a gift. I should probably feel bad about not getting a present for sweet Audrey Ella, but since this is her first Christmas she won't even remember that her aunt is a cheapskate.

The gift giving started early this afternoon and I had a Tiffany's moment. What's a Tiffany's moment, you ask? It's what happens when this girl sees that blue box: goosebumps, squealing, air humping, fist pumping, and eeeeeeps galore. Gina witnessed it first hand as I opened Emily J.'s gift; a beautiful silver bracelet to match my 'Karen' necklace and the bracelet that she has that I adore. It's so dainty and beautiful and suits my jewelery style perfectly. It certainly makes my pickled green beans pale in comparison. I think I'll have to take her out on a Parkside champagne and oyster date after the New Year. Thanks, Emily. I love the bracelet as much as I love you!


In more gift news, yesterday I was called the best Hanukkah present ever, and I like the way that sounds. I still have my crush on my little Jewish boy, Eric, so we'll just play it by ear from here on out.

Dear friends, please keep the positive energy flowing for Aaron and his beautiful girlfriend, Alison. He will begin chemotherapy tomorrow (Bah Humbug!), which is such a scary thing to think about. He's one of the most positive people I know and has always been optimistic in the face of medical adversity. I'm not a religious person, so 'keep him in your prayers' doesn't seem fitting, but please keep him in your thoughts. I know he, and all of us who love him, will get through this, but it's just so difficult to think about. It isn't fair that these things happen.

I hope you all enjoy your holidays and I'm really looking forward to what the new year brings us all.

XO,
LD

No comments: