Monday, November 14, 2011

Nightmare on 43rd Street

Ugh, my nightmare is officially over! No more bedbugs.

Much of this weekend was spent preparing for my all day extermination today. Since my home was going to be heated to 120 degrees for 4 hours, I had to remove certain items: cats, vinyl records, taxidermy, combustibles, melt-ables... I also had to wash about 4 hours worth of clothing. Being fashionably obsessive has finally come to bite me in the ass and my arms hurt from all the folding. It has, however, been very fun refolding and reorganizing all of my clothes.


Industrial heaters used for my office/home treatment.

I found 3 bugs last night; the first I've ever seen in my home. It made it extremely hard to try to sleep, so I started packing up clothes to wash, removing records from my home, and all other last minute prep. Once Beth and Matt started their day, I took Cecilia over to their house for her all day play date with Cousin Nigel. She doesn't do very well outside so she went to kitty daycare while Boris spent the day outdoors.

Boris loves being outside!

Cecilia on the car ride to Auntie Beth's

After getting the kiddos situated I started the massive amounts of laundry! Since I have so many sweaters that cannot be washed in hot water or dried in a dryer without risking ruining them, I struck a deal with the exterminators: if I washed all the clothes in my dresser, they would move forward with the treatment without me having to wash my sweaters. They heated them up to 120 degrees along with my home.

Laundry exhausted me and I spent a couple of hours at Matt and Beth's napping with Ceci and drinking beers with Matt while watching him build a shed foundation. It was strangely relaxing, but I just wanted to be home to get on with the entire process.

Ceci felt at home at Aunt Beth's and napped in between
complaining about cousin Nigel eating her cereal.

I was finally able to go back home at 5pm, unloaded the pounds and pounds of freshly cleaned laundry, brought Ceci home, and began putting my house back together again. I'm done, everything looks amazing, I feel comforted (finally), and cannot wait to bubble bath and snuggle the kitties in an uncontaminated bed! This process has been a nightmare, but all my wonderful friends have been so sweet and encouraging. Between the girls (Alison, Julia, and Stayten) housing me over the weekend, Beth lending me her car and kitty cat daycare facilities without ever fearing contamination, Karen sending me cute little encouraging emoticon texts, Gina and Jessica worrying right along side me, and bitching to Ashley and Emily ad nauseum, I couldn't have asked for a better experience. I guess this could have happened to any of us, but it just feels very invasive and upsetting to have to deal with the treatment. In exciting news, my landlord has agreed to pay for half of the services and I'm still going to try to have UT pay for the remainder. Thank goodness the nightmare is over and I'm going to finally be able to sleep tight! Don't let the bedbugs bite, y'all!

No comments: