Tuesday, September 27, 2011

A Hair Raising Morning

This morning has been so intense!

I woke up at 3am to the sound of a demonic cat meowing. Cecilia and I were snuggling sweetly whenever we were both awakened. I still don't have a clue what was going on with Boris, but he was meowing for about 30 minutes with the most satanic sounding growl. Ceci was all poofed up and terrified of him; growling and hissing. He wouldn't stand up and was moving around like a soldier crawling on his belly. It was like he was possessed. I get so concerned about being medically melodramatic (hence my last trip to the ER because I didn't want to be overly dramatic, yet was severely dehydrated) that I called Lela to get some cat mum advice. After spending some time petting and brushing him he started purring and walking around. After I got him to drink some water I was pretty sure he was fine, but I still don't have a clue what was wrong. Nightmare? Demonic possession? Bad kitty cat gas?

I stayed awake until about 5am just crying and being so thankful that my sweet little kitty was going to be okay. He got lots of snuggles and now I'm a little worried he has discovered an excellent attention-grabbing trick. I always tell my cats two things:
       1. Never eat anything they find in the bathroom, even if it is a hamburger.
       2. If they ever left me I would cry forever.
Thank you Lela for letting my not feel like such a crazy nutz-o whenever Boris was possessed by a demon and offering to help should we needed to visit the kitty ER.

With my sleepy boy

About two weeks ago I applied for a job opportunity at an AMAZING museum:  The Mutter Museum in Philadelphia. I first visited this museum in the 3rd grade to attend a distant relative's wedding and the reception was held within the museum of medical oddities. This sounds amazing to me now, but I'm still a little surprised since it was a very decadent and devoutly Catholic ceremony. Regardless, I fell in love with the wall of eyeballs and the jars full of faces. On my recent trip to Philly we weren't able to visit, but it is still my all time favorite museum.

This spring I decided Philly was my escape city should I need it and I've been applying for any "dream job" posted at the Mutter or Philadelphia Museum of Art. This morning, I got an email requesting a phone interview, which will be tomorrow morning. I'm dumbfounded! I can't believe I'm an actual candidate. I think it just goes to show you that you should make some lofty jumps every now and then just for the hell of it. To be honest, it sort of feels like Philadelphia is calling my bluff; giving me the opportunity to leave everything I said I wanted to abandon behind to start all over. My bluff has been called, the prospect of leaving Austin saddens me. I have too many people here I love and only one person I hate ;) which was the main reason I was looking for an exit strategy.

Well guys, wish me luck please! It would really be an amazing opportunity and I know I would never be able to pass it up, so it's pointless to consider the complications this early in the stage. I love every bit of Philadelphia I've seen, am living a more adventurous and confident life right now than I ever have, and all the people I love will be in my heart no matter where I live. And, the best part about this job opportunity is that I was able to reference my deep-rooted love and interest in the "collection of anthropological and medical specimens chronicling the history of man in my personal life by having a personal collection of human hair, not to rival to the Mutter's collection." Yes, you read that correctly! In my cover letter I told them I collected my own hair and I got an interview!!

No comments: