Thursday, July 21, 2011

Vacay Update

Where to start, where to start? I feel like I have so much to catch-up on, so this may be a 3-blog day.

Vacation Recap:

Gina and I flew into NYC and had some trouble getting our brains into navigation mode. We met Wes and Christian and had lunch at Peter's in Williamsburg (Peter's Rotisserie website). My plate was full of delicious southern style, down-home cooking! The most interesting part of my meal: the butt-naked dude standing in socks and shoes in the middle of the ladies' restroom. I squeeled and shut the door; it was way too early in this vacation to be seeing unexpected weenie.

Green beans, macaroni & cheese, mashed potatoes & gravy,
corn bread muffins, and cole slaw... oh my!

We spent most of our day catching up and planning our weekend. We walked the Williamsburg bridge to burn off all our lunch carbs...

NYC skyline

and then stopped off for "buy one, get one free" happy hour at the place Wes and Rayon Beach were playing that night. BOGO beers?! Something like that could really get me in trouble here in Austin!

Jumping for BOGO beer joy in front of a Predator

After happy hour we ran from one Brooklyn, Texas-themed bar to another: Coyote Ugly, Doc Holiday's, and a couple of other terrible places I can't remember. I really had a great time letting lose and talking to new friends. I was hit on by a bro-down dude at Coyote Ugly and Colin told him, "Hey, if you like it put a ring on it," which is still my favorite quote of the entire trip. I kept screaming at the poor guy every time he showed me another one of his terrible tribal tattoos, "Oooh, you're a real man", "Yeah, tough boy with the angles of death on his arms; ugggh a real man's tatttoo!!" Honestly, I'm very lucky he kept his shirt on and didn't offer to buy me one of Coyote Ugly's world famous $20 body shots. While there, we got word that Kid Rock was in town and instead of locating him, we hashed out an action movie plot, "Rock v. Rock" that stars Kid Rock and Chris Rock. I think we're onto something with this one.

On our 2nd day in NYC we visited The Met. The best thing about The Met is that you can experience it on a budget and pay what you'd like instead of the suggested $25. I personally love art, but was on a tight budget so found my slimy, wadded $1 bill appropriate. We waited in line for 2 hours to view the Alexander McQueen exhibit and it was so worth it! I would have waited another hour if needed. Unfortunately, I wasn't allowed to take photographs, but the art direction and the McQueen designs were so well paired and breathtaking. You have to watch the video on the exhibition's website: Savage Beauty

Widows of Colloden dress
Creme silk tulle and lace with resin antlers
VOSS dress
Razor clam shells
Widows of Culloden dress
Pheasant feathers
It's only a Game dressLilac leather and horse hair
Eclectic Dissect dress
Black leather, red pheasant feathers, resin vulture skull

After New York we headed out to Philadelphia. I wanted to fall in love with the city and I did, kind of. Everything looks so green, lush, and beautiful that I could have convinced myself we were in Ireland. I wish I could have seen more of the city; maybe some gritty parts to push me away. Regardless, Philadelphia is my new backup city. Should I determine that I need to start over or escape Austin, that will be where you can find me. The rent is affordable, the homes are adorable, the history is emense, and the Philadelphia Museum of Art houses the entire collection of my heart: Marcel Duchamp's Etant Donnes...


Interior view of Etant Donnes

Nude Descending the Staircase

All in all, I had a lovely time. I was able to escape Austin and see parts of two cities I had never seen before. I met some nice people and was surprised about what a small world it is after all. You can find familiar faces almost anywhere, I believe. The most important lesson I learned from this trip is that I crash hard. I fell asleep early in the van our first two nights after Wes and Rayon Beach played, and fell asleep at the club while in Philadelphia. Each time with beer in hand. In looking at photos of past events I found quite a few where I am sleeping on Gina's couch or in a chair at the bar. I need to work on my bar stamina; perhaps Jager bombs are the way to go from now on!


Asleep in Philly 07.18.11

Asleep in Austin 04.18.11
Asleep in Denton 01.14.11


As if that wasn't enough, here are some more tidbit stories:

-I ordered a Mexican Coke in Philadelphia and was surprised to be treated like a racist. Apparently in the north it's called, "bottled coke".

-I bumped into my 1st beard crush from over ten years ago on the streets of Williamsburg. He was there to see Wes play.

Josh T. Pearsons

-It's no secret that I love pigeons, but I never expected to be so excited about seeing so many. The city was full of them.

-I passed a kitty cat bar and they had this sign up. I think a kitty cat bar is a great idea, but I'm not sure many people in Austin would pay to play with cats.



-This is an image of a poodle, Sanford, chomping on a bagel with cream cheese.



-Here is my favorite headline on a newspaper in Brooklyn:

Ring leader of group gay hate attack gets hurt in
prison van wreck & now scum sues city!

-I fell in love with Pat & Anna's sweet pit, Jenny. Jenny, I miss you!!

Jenny was rescued from a coke house where she had
been stabbed and chained to a radiator.




No comments: