- Finally begin refinishing the headboard I planned on painting this past summer.
- I've been addicted to my electronic cigarette for nearly 4 years now and use it more than I ever did actual cigarettes. I sleep with it under my pillow to smoke in the middle of the night even! It's pretty ridiculous. I've started cutting back with hopes of quitting in 2015.
- Make at least one phone call a week. I feel so busy with work and distant from my friends and family as a result. I'm hoping making the time will come naturally after scheduling weekly phone calls.
- A wetter summer! My soul felt dry this summer as I didn't swim nearly as much as I wanted to. I will make up for that when 2015 gets warm.
- Meet with a relator/mortgage officer to begin the home buying process.
- Pack more work lunches to save money and calories.
- Oysters, lobster, and martinis! Just a few of the items I want to consume.
- Be bill-free by the end of the year! Of course I'll have my standard monthly bills, but I'd like to avoid the hassle of paying them and having everything set up for automatic payments.
- Cook more meals at home. I've nearly stopped cooking all together since becoming a fancy lady executive and I truly miss it.
- As a career-oriented lady, I want to include a career goal, but 2014 was a big career year for me. I love my new position and definitely see growth outside of my office, but want to reach my peak before climbing higher. So, in 2015 I'll work on that steady climb.
- Eat less meat. I was a vegetarian/vegan for more than a third of my life, but that has gone to the wayside in recent years. BBC loves vegetarian food, so the only holdup is myself.
- Hot Springs, AZ. BBC and I had hoped to spend Thanksgiving in Hot Springs, but losing our kitty Boris threw us off kilter. I still crave the healing mineral water and a change of pace.
- Invite our friend Nick over for dinner, who has cooked for us many times. Recently Nick mentioned that he hasn't been to our house, so a dinner party is in order.
- Finish BBC's dental work. I went through the same overhaul several years ago and Brandon is nearly finished getting his chompers in order.
- Mexico in May. My lady friend, Karen, will be turning 30 this year and wants a girls trip to a beach resort in Mexico. I can't believe that as a Texas native I've never been.
Sunday, December 28, 2014
Here we go again: Every year I make a list of goals and declarations that are long forgotten come March, but it brings me so much joy. So, with that, here are my 15 resolutions for 2015:
Tuesday, December 23, 2014
Oh holy night, how long has it been since I last blogged!? Nothing like a two week winter break and sitting at my mum's house to provide me with the free time. So, in the spirit of receiving, I provide you with my list of presents I'd like to see waiting for me under the tree when I return home:
Happy Christmas, y'all! I hope your sugar plum dreams come true Christmas morning.
- We lost our sweet kitty Boris recently and I miss his black velvet fur cuddles. Nothing could replace him and our darling Cecilia is doing great as an only cat, but a pug-shaped hole is slowly growing in my heart.
- I'm blaming my recent binge of infomercial watching on this next item. Secret Extensions!! $39.99 for a fake hair halo?! I'd be crazy to not buy this!
- I've fallen in love with the Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf's tea lattes. They blend them most delicious teas with a vanilla powder to create this heavenly elixir. I've started purchasing the vanilla powder separately to recreate tea lattes at home and work. My favorite tea is their Winter Dream blend. I bought this gift set for my office's white elephant exchange and it was almost impossible for me to not pick it myself.
- A maid service. Last year Brandon and I got a newer car before Christmas and agreed it was our family present. This year, I'd like a maid service to come in and clean from top to bottom. With both of us working so much, cleaning is one of my last priorities.
- An ecosphere; 'nuff said!
- As always, my biggest wish is for a dream bathroom fit for a bubble queen.
Happy Christmas, y'all! I hope your sugar plum dreams come true Christmas morning.
Tuesday, August 12, 2014
Oh my goodness, y'all!!! It's been over a month since I last blogged. Is anybody having withdrawals?! Are you concerned that perhaps I've died over these last weeks?! Well, the universe is still spinning and I'm still alive. My new job has become such a big part of my life; blogging, and internetting in general, are virtually gone from my day-to-day routine. I feel so unconnected to the virtual world. Does 'Lil Bub still love yougurt? Has Grumpy Cat learned how to smile?! What's the scoop? Well, here is some personal scoop about me and the new job:
- I love the new job! Moving from my own office to a cubicle in a sea of other cubicles was, perhaps, the biggest change. I researched cubicle etiquette online beforehand, as I had an irrational fear of being unliked by my "pod mates." Expectedly, not eating fish for lunch and avoiding strong perfumes topped the lists, but the most surprising thing I found was that you shouldn't walk through other cubicles as a shortcut across the office.
- My hours have become more regular; now nearly 50 hours a week instead of 60+. There was one night last week that I stayed until 10:00pm, so you can see why I was the last to learn that Robin Williams died. My source of entertainment news is now the liquor store cashier.
- BBC works across the street from me, which provides a strange sense of comfort. Both of us are usually unsure of when we'll finish each day, so we meet up at the bar nearby for drinks before carpooling home. I love it, but our alcohol budget, and consumption, has nearly doubled.
- Last week my favorite colleague peer pressured me into smoking a cigarette. It's been years since I last smoked a real cigarette, as the electronic ones are my addiction of choice. The coworker was having an exceptionally stressful day, thought she overheard that I smoked, and asked for a cigarette. After explaining that I only vaporized my nicotine, I offered to get her a cigarette from BBC across the street. I grabbed two for her, but changed my mind at the last minute and was only going to giver her one as to not fuel her craving since she had quit many, many years ago. After I gave her the cigarette, she asked if I was going to join her and for unknown reasons, I did. It was delicious, but I felt like a teenager again trying to cover up the smell. Have no fear, I followed cubible etiquette and didn't over apply perfume.
- The new job is pretty high stress. Basically, I'm the main administrative liaison for two colleges on campus, fielding all administrative tasks from purchasing supplies to hiring new employees. I also frequently feel like Smokey the Bear, putting out fires and trying to prevent other disasters. Not only have I become an adrenaline junkie, assuming office work can give you jolts of adrenaline, but I've somehow overcome my lifelong aversion to chocolate.
Friday, June 27, 2014
Oh my god y'all, this Friday has been the start of the most deserved weekend I've had in a very long time. I started my new job this week, and while I went in Monday without reservations or anxieties, most of my week was anxiety-ridden. I know I made the best decision for me in quitting both of my jobs and moving on in my career, which feels pretty darn great. So, with that, I present my 5 Facts Friday blog, the work edition.
- I've mentioned this many times in past blogs, but for most of my adult life my grandmother has been doing my lingerie shopping. She used to send me large envelopes stuffed with my favorite undies. Over the years, those panties have taken a beating and it's time to replenish my panty drawer. I have a hard time dropping the $20 that a pair of hanky pankies cost, but I'm going to reward myself by tossing out every pair with a busted waistband. Woo hoo, brand new panties for my hoochie-coo! I'm not entirely sure what this has to do with work, but I got a raise so I can afford underwear now, I suppose.
- My office building is now across the street from Brandon's job. I do a lot of walking past his shop to meet with clients on campus and I love being able to watch him load up his flower truck in the morning. I don't get to do much more than call out his name and say hi, but that's all it takes to brighten my day even more.
- Another "bigger salary" splurge I'm planning is to make is my first hydrotherapy appointment in July. What's hydrotherapy you ask? Well, basically you pay a spa to take a bubble bath. I can't wait!
- My new office has Friday breakfast! Every Friday someone in the office brings in breakfast for the whole crew. Today we had fruit, bacon wrapped dates that drove everyone wild, doughnuts, and nomosas. I'm shocked, but the nomosas were pretty great. Sure, the champagne was replaced with ginger ale, but I still had two and felt giddy. I'm crossing my fingers that next Friday we have a fancy bagel bar!
- I haven't been able to keep up with my normal internetting this week and I'm looking forward to binging on Apartment Therapy and Design Sponge this weekend. I also have a handful of projects on my to-do list that I'm so excited to start without clear intentions of finishing them. Yay for valuing my free time more!
Wednesday, June 11, 2014
Earlier this week I tossed nearly the entire contents of my pantry due to a bo weevil infestation. While I'm mostly pissed off about throwing out so much food, a large portion of me is sentimental and nostalgic about my childhood. For most of my childhood, I was raised by a poor, single mother of two who cried with every lice outbreak. She couldn't afford to miss work when we were kicked out of school for hair bugs and she couldn't afford the treatments either, but lice never seemed to break her resolve quite like weevils did.
If you aren't familiar with bo weevils, they're a small beetle that eats cotton buds and flowers. Normal weevils, however, chomp on flours, grains, seeds, legumes, etc. While I actually have only experienced weevil infestations, my mum always called them boooooo weevils, so that's what I call them. Flour bugs, essentially. Here are some images:
I vividly remember my mum throwing away nearly the entire contents of our pantry while trying to hide sobs when we had our first weevil outbreak. All food in cans were washed in the sink and when the labels came off the cans, she turned eating into a game. My sister and I would grab a random unmarked tin of food, try to guess the contents before we opened it, and then eat whatever was inside for dinner. We were always on edge when it came to weevils and would carefully eat our breakfast cereal while searching for weevils floating in our milk. If we thought we saw one, my mum would come look at our spoon to inspect a charred bit of Cheerio, usually. She made a game out of most things out of her control.
After throwing away my pantry contents, washing all the food cans, and looking at my empty cabinet, I cried. I cried because so much food was wasted, but I also cried thinking about how frustrating it must have been for my mum when we had weevils as a kid. It wasn't enough that my mum was poor and worked so hard to budget and make sure my sister and I didn't go hungry, but having to throw all that food away, essentially throwing money away, and still having to find a way to feed her children must have been beyond stressful. I feel your pain momma, I adore you for your strength, and I love you!
And in your honor, momma, I present you with my favorite mum-related hip hip song. (Sorry, Pac)
Friday, June 6, 2014
So it appears that I'm only blogging on Fridays. Perhaps my life has gotten too busy to blog regularly, or maybe I'm just out of great things to say. Either way, I'm able to commit to 5 fact Fridays.
- For the last week I have been doing a "clean eating" cleanse, of sorts. I chose to sign up for BuzzFeed's challenge, because the recipes looked yummy and they simplified the process with grocery lists and meal plans. So far I've done 6 days, I feel great, and have lost a little weight. While the weight loss was certainly a goal of mine, I was really looking for a jumping point on improving my diet. Since the wedding, I've been in a cooking rut and needed something to motivate me out of my kitchen doldrums and blues. I don't completely understand "clean eating," but I've learned a lot, cook more like my healthy vegan days, and will definitely continue removing processed foods from my diet and adding easy, nutrient-rich foods like flax and chia.
- Orange in the New Black! Orange is the new Black!!! I'm so excited to binge watch the 2nd season of OITNB, but sadly cannot stay home tonight and gorge myself because BBC and Letty's Billy Squire cover band, Billy's Choir, is playing.
- I read this article by Questlove several months ago, it brought empathetic tears to my eyes and has dramatically altered my interactions with black men. Even typing that feels politically incorrect, but ultimately I don't think there should be anything wrong with reversing subconscious racism. It pains me to think that a black man would find it necessary to make himself appear like less of a threat to a woman he doesn't know; it's a way of life I will never know or understand. So how have I altered my interactions with black men? It may be simple and probably goes unnoticed, but I always make sure to make eye contact and smile. I don't know what impact this has had, but smiling at strangers has brighten my days.
- I got a new job!! I will still be working at UT, but will be in a different department with more challenges. I'm pretty excited. What's most exciting is that I will only have one job from now on, as I also quit my second job! w00t t00t
- It is a happy, happy Friday indeed. Enjoy the weekend, lovelies!
Friday, May 23, 2014
Yay, it's Friday again. Here are some fact-a-roonies for ya:
- For the last few weeks I have been using my electronic toothbrush as a normal toothbrush because I've been too forgetful/lazy to replace the batteries!
- I recently discovered that I prefer jeggings to jeans because I don't have to worry about making sure my zipper is zipped up. Sadly, I too frequently forget to zip my pants.
- My new favorite summer shoes!!! They're super comfortable and look great with jeans, shorts, and dresses.
- Last weekend we went to a wedding in San Marcos and have since decided that we want to move there. Nothing has felt so right, with the exception of deciding to get married. The ideal plan would be that I get into grad school at UT next year and we move whenever I'm finished, which would put us at 3 years from now. However, if I don't get in then we'll just up an move as soon as I can get a job at Texas State. It's pretty exciting and we're already making our dream home list: chickens, claw foot tub, wood floors, off the water, goats, a big dog, music recording room......
- Hey y'all, I have a favorite freckle. It showed up a couple of years ago, so she's still a fresh one. She's located on the inside of my middle finger and I'm pretty sure her name is Gretchen.